Friday, October 18, 2013

Reintroduction--Fast Food

Except, that wasn't on the plan! True confessions, here. I really have so little desire to reintroduce legumes. I am thinking I'll do another whole 30 challenge in January to reset after the holidays. Perhaps I'll "reintroduce" legumes at that time. I don't care for most beans. Black beans are about my only bean-consumption beyond soy and peanuts. There are so many other options for peanuts out there, that I really don't need those. Soy is inevitable in some ways. Maybe not at home, but try finding a grilled chicken out there in restaurant-land that doesn't have soy. About impossible. So, if I have a legume or soy issue, it will have to wait to be found out. I don't use soy at home, and try to avoid it as much as possible, but again, we have to live life too. Soy happens.

About that fast food. Yes, yesterday I went through a drive thru. I got a hamburger and french fries. It's been well over forty days. There are no excuses. I'd love to say it tasted horrible and made me feel like crap. Except that wouldn't really be true. I had planned to eat the burger without the bun, at least. But as the slippery slope often happens, I ate the glutenous bun as well. I'd love to say I felt itchy and sluggish, but I didn't really. Though, I know that that is not good fuel. So, no more fast food for a lonnnnnggggg while. I just can't say forever. But for the foreseeable future, unless it is a salad without extra "junk" on it, we'll just steer the car home for lunch.

Which brings me to an obstacle that I'm not sure I can fix. I am just a bad cook. I'm not great at planning the meals. I scour pinterest (filthy liar) and blogs and cookbooks. I pin "the world's greatest chicken!" and make it, and...meh. I think Husband makes the world's greatest chicken, frankly. It's just that by the time we get home, he preps the chicken and makes it and we sit and eat, Little Guy has tried to clean out all the fruit and chex mix because he has a hollow leg to fill and it's all of 7 o'clock and time for bath, etc. So, I have tried to prep stuff the night before. But I cannot deal with raw chicken unless it's with tongs and baggies. There is no trimming it. So, I can make beef ok, if I work around touching it. Pot roast is probably the only thing I generally do well. I killed some meatloafs this week. Like terrible. Like, that beef was sad it became meatloaf. The chicken last night was edible, but definitely NOT the "world's best." I am good at following directions, I watch cooking shows to see what kinds of spices and seasonings go with what...I just don't have the knack. And it's incredibly frustrating. So, when there's nothing prepared or easily accessible, I really just want to eat something fast and easy. I need to look into how to make that happen. Protein is the obstacle here. Protein and a cooking gene that missed a generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment