Sunday, September 15, 2013

Day Nine. (Sunday)

There's just not much wrong with any kind of Sunday. The chance to worship, rest, and otherwise unwind is always good for me. But then, the Panthers lost with :02 left in the game. What!?! Oh well.

Ate:

  • I had to pack an on-the-go breakfast of shaved turkey, cashews and banana for the road.
  • We tried Showmars for lunch, as I didn't feel I could face Qdoba today. I had a green romaine and iceberg lettuce salad with grilled chicken and tomatoes. And their Greek vinaigrette. I should have brought my own dressing. The cook there said there was a little sugar in it to cut the vinegar. Honestly, it's so tangy there can't be much. The chicken is also pretty basic. I don't think there was much in the way of "bad" ingredients. Next time will bring my vinaigrette. You'd think a Greek restaurant would have just plain oil and vinegar!? That's an entirely Greek thing.
  • After some pretty bland food thus far today, I wanted some flavor, so I pulled out my new GHEE (clarified butter) and sauteed some apples with cinnamon. They were ok. They smelled AWESOME. Just wanted to pretend I was having a treat.
  • Dinner was prime rib burgers with a spinach salad and some sweet potatoes. Still want cheese on that joker.

 Impressions:

I may never get over my desire for macaroni and cheese. After all this, it might have to be a "sometimes" food. Had a great conversation with another "paleo" mom at church, who was very encouraging. She saw a whole30 post on FB and came to give me a big hug and encouragement and share some tips and secrets. She is doing this with her whole family, which is an ultimate goal for us. For everyone to be at least in the eating about 80% fruits and veggies, whole foods, and FAR FAR less sugar and processed food. I don't think we'll ever be 100% strict, but I know that this is a do-able thing generally.

Had an epiphany at the grocery store on Friday. I remember my doctor once telling me that to eat better, I should do the majority of my shopping around the edges of the grocery store. I remembered thinking, "but what about my cereal and stuff?" I realized on Friday that of my list of 20 things, all but one came from the edges of the store (mustard--totes ok). Lots of produce, some good meat, good eggs, etc.
000

No comments:

Post a Comment