Thursday, September 26, 2013

Day TWENTY. (Thursday)

Yes, I typed that 20 in all caps. 'Cause I'm 2/3 done to the done. However, I'm doing lots of thinking about how I will never really be DONE if I'm pursuing long-term health. I'm gathering recipes and doing a lot of thinking about how my eating life should never look like it did 21 days ago. I will definitely be adding something back to the coffee, even if it's just a little agave juice or something to the coconut milk. Starting each day with old ashtray taste just isn't pleasant. And it's just one cup.

Ate:

  • By Thursdays each week, I seem really done with eggs. Particularly when I'm out of spinach. Tried turkey and eggs with some salsa. Not my favorite moment.
  • Banana and almonds
  • Leftover fajita chicken and peppers with guacamole and grapes
  • Cashew larabar (oh my. So yummy)
  • Dinner was very good. Made a paleo meatloaf (muffin-size) with a half crock-pot sweet potato  and fresh green beans. Looking forward to my leftovers already. Had to buy a few things to make it, but it's stuff I can use in the future like coconut flour and tapioca flour.

Impressions:

Even though the Whole 30 people say NOT to weigh yourself, I mean...really? I understand it's not about weight loss; it's about health. But be hanged if I'm not eating a morsel of sugar, bread, corn, etc. for a month and not seeing if it's helping my poundage! So, I've lost 8.5 pounds in 20 days. I'm searching for ways to keep my activity levels up as well. I have done a LOT of walking in the last 10 days or so, some on purpose and some just due to work. My next goal is to get 10-20 minutes of some push ups and pilates-style strength work on the floor at some point during the day to get my core firmer and stronger. I can't think about where to fit in cardio just yet.

I'm thinking a lot about God's creation in the midst of all this. How he put so many wonderful things on the earth to nourish us. How plants are full of everything we really need to sustain us and keep us healthy. So much of the food science and food creations we have pale in comparison to what He made for us. I'm really in love with this idea of eating things that don't have long, scary lists of ingredients, made by companies who profit on our sickness and cravings. And for real, I'm not that girl who is big on conspiracy theories and hippie food. I'm a regular person on a quest to live better.

Surprises:

Bummed that just this week, my LEFT hand started to ache as my right hand does. Both hands now have some symptoms of inflammation. Not cool, hands. Not cool. Not sure what might have started it, but perhaps all the hauling of stuff I had to do on Friday and Monday for work. I realize it might take a while to get my inflammation calmed down, so I will wait. And not go crazy on October 7 (day 31). Retraining the brain to think of food as medicine and not just as pleasure is no easy task.

No comments:

Post a Comment