Saturday, September 7, 2013

Day One. (Saturday)

...or "what the frack do I do for coffee" day?


I'll be honest. My version of coffee barely resembles coffee by the time I put hot cocoa mix and flavored creamer in it. I'm beholden to the cup of caffeine in the morning, however, whether you judge my flavoring choices or not.

I tried it black. Someone else doing the whole 30 said it tasted like licking the bottom of an ash tray. Yes and yes. I tried a little coconut milk, but since it was unsweetened and thin, not helping. So today, I did the smallest splash of flavored creamer. I can't be having a headache on top of it all. And, I figured it was the first thing of the day. My body doesn't know yet that I'm about to deprive it of all sugar for a month. And maybe I'll go an extra half-day. That got me on the internet searching for coffee-help. So, I made THIS coconut-milk-based "creamer" this evening and will report back what happens tomorrow. Basically, I hate anything remotely bitter, so I'm hoping the creaminess and vanilla extract will get some coffee down my gullet.

EarthFare stock-up. Well, some of it. And, pay no attention to the dog treats. I'm not having those.

Impressions: easy to start on a Saturday with no other obligations as I didn't feel pressured or rushed...and could solve snafus like coffee.

Surprised by: how gross coffee is in its natural state. Also, sweet potato fries in the grocery store are NOT just sweet potatoes cut up and frozen. All kinds of stuff added to them. Bummer. I was hoping those might be an easy side item to help me over the whole no french fries thing. I know I can make my own...but I did that one time and it took over two hours of cutting and cooking.

Breakfast. Made some extra to eat for the next few days.
Ate: 
  • egg muffins with kale & green onion with pancetta
  • vegetable soup
  • strawberries and bananas
  • grilled burger with 2 slices fresh tomato & mustard and roasted butternut squash
  • snacked on cashews and approved sliced-turkey (with no sugar or additives) while cooking

The vegetable soup was kind of difficult. Jerod is a champion soup-maker, and we had LOTS of fresh veggies to put in...even some homegrown tomatoes from the neighbor. However, what we realized is that the flavors we're used to are all the dashes of "this and that" that he puts in...beer, worchestershire sauce/steak sauce/sriracha sauce, etc. It all has sugar. It was astonishing to eat the soup and TASTE the veggies. It did take me a good bit longer to get the whole bowl down, I won't lie. But, I did it. And we are going to find some more approved flavoring and additions to "beef" it up a little.

I roasted the butternut squash in coconut oil. I hate coconut as a general rule. It always tastes and smells like suntan lotion. But, with the squash, it wasn't too strong. I'm hopeful. 

Today I struggled with coffee and the strong desire to eat cheese. Delicious cheese. But overall, a good day. I haven't felt famished or deprived. And I feel really blessed to be able to go into a well-stocked grocery store and buy wholesome foods. And...the BEST spaghetti sauce ever was $2 off/jar at Harris Teeter. I might have bought five. It's amazingly delicious and doesn't have anything like soy, dairy, grain or sugar in it. Score. Also purchased a spaghetti squash to try it with this week!



Vegetable soup, please! At least six different veggies in here. And some grass-fed beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment